Discover 10 Unique Ohio Wineries!
Submitted by Michael Evans on Wed, 01/08/2014
With more than 150 wineries scattered across Ohio, the state ranks 9th in the nation for wineries - an impressive feat! The temperate growing climate and the fertile soil on the lakeside accounts for the majority of Ohio's most well-known wineries, although no area of the state is lacking!
With so many to choose from, here are some of my top picks of wineries that are unique and exciting.
1. School House Winery (Dover, Tuscawaras County): My favorite discovery is the School House Winery, which was established in an actual schoolhouse from the late 1800s! This bright red structure stands out in the rolling countryside and beckons you inside. All wines have been given elementary school-related monikers. Try: Bully Red (my favorite), Teacher's Pet (best seller).
2. Gervasi Vineyard & Italian Bistro (Canton, Stark County): With its picturesque lake, delicious bistro, gorgeous villas, bocce courts and the brand new Crush House Restaurant, it outshines most all competition! Try: Abbraccio and their signature Sangria!
3. Camelot Cellars (Columbus, Franklin County): This urban boutique winery found in the Short North is always buzzing! Camelot imports grapes from all over the world so they make Australian, African, European and American wines. What's even better is that YOU can also make your own wine here - an experience I highly recommend! Try: Australian Chardonnay, French Rose.
4. Myrddin Winery (Lake Milton, Mahoning County): This eclectic spot is situated in the midst of the woods and is easy to miss! Myrddin, which is an Old English spelling of "Merlin", feels like it has taken a page out of Harry Potter with its wizarding theme. Try: Pendragon, Sorceror's Red.
5. Heineman's Winery & Crystal Cave (Put-In-Bay, Ottawa County): This island winery has rich soil that helps grow some of the highest quality grapes in the state. Try: Pink Catawba.
6. Lakehouse Inn & Winery (Geneva-On-The-Lake, Ashtabula County): This area has an exuberant amount of wineries, but this is the one I am most fond of, mainly due to the breaktaking view! Sitting on the patio on a sunny day overlooking Lake Erie makes you feel like you are in wine country in France! Try: Just Peachy, Red Sky.
7. Bluebird Winery at Little Forest Inn (Malvern, Carroll County): This winery is quaint, cozy and simple - in a good way. They produce 25 different wines and also offer a full bar. The interior is rustic, like a log cabin, and there are tales of hauntings taking place here!
8. Country Porch Winery (Cortland, Trumbull County): Described as being "nestled in the heart of Trumbull County," this place looks is as cozy and inviting as your grandmother's house, with a long front porch stretching the front (hence the name). Try: Certain Gold, Daisy For Me.
9. Firelands Winery (Sandusky, Erie County) Known to be one of the best in Northwest Ohio, this is a winery for my bucket list! Try: Walleye White, Barrel Select Chardonnay.
10. Thorncreek Winery & Gardens (Aurora, Summit County): Talk about fancy! Beautiful gardens, stunning architecture and a tasting room perfect for intimate events make Thorncreek a winner! Try: Aurora Cream White, Cabernet Sauvignon.